Located at 1342 Main Street in downtown Newman, CA. the St George Hotel was built in 1908 by the Alves brothers from São Jorge (Isle of St George), a Portuguese island in the central Azorean archipelago of Portugal. It was one of Stanislaus County’s most elegant lodges and dining spots in the early 1900’s, according to the commemorative publication A Walk Through Time, Newman Celebrates 125 years. At over 100 years old, the St George Hotel still holds much of it’s architectural charm. The beautiful stained glass facing Main Street depicts images from Portugal that include the Castle of St George and Serra da Estrela. Inside, tin ceilings and beautiful wood craftsmanship are found throughout. Although no longer a working hotel, the St George is still contributing to the community by offering another venue for The Arts on the West Side.